Talk:Berwickshire Towns and Villages C

From the Family Tree Forum Reference Library
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Chirnside

Chirnside Parish Church sits alongside the main road to Berwick. The earliest parts of the building are twelfth century (a doorway and section of wall), though much of the present building dates to the 1870's and a restoration programme in the early 1900's. There are many references in and around the church to the Marjoribanks family, notably the arched entrance inscribed with "Erected to the memory of Edward Marjoribanks. 2nd Baron Tweedmouth" although this structure is thought to be later than 1910. Entering through the archway leads the visitor to a notice which highlights the location of the burial place of Jim Clark OBE, the two times world champion racing driver lived locally. The Jim Clark rally is held every year in the Borders and many spectators and competitors visit both the grave and Jim Clark rooms in nearby Duns.




Coldstream

St Mary and All Souls stands on the edge of Coldstream, the road climbs slightly and turns left to reveal the church on the left. What at first appears as a simple rectangular building actually has a semicircular chancel, the building dates to 1913-14. It is a much younger building than most in the area (the old Manse House sits close by as does the Police Station) and has a light and airy interior and fine wooden vaulted roof.

Former United Free Church sits on the High Street, dating to the early 1900's and now used as a community centre.A Gothic style building with transepts and tower, to a design by Alnwick architect George Reavell jr the church featured a gallery to the rear, (now used by the youth club). Stained glass is attributed to both London and Edinburgh companies. The site used for the church was previously the site of the United Presbyterian West Church.


Coldstream Parish Church sits on the High Street, surrounded by the oldest buildings within the town. Originally built to replace the destroyed church at the abandoned Lennell site the earliest parts of the building (tower and west entrance) date to 1718. The remainder of the building was rebuilt in 1905, a stone vaulted ceiling and carved stone pulpit being amongst the most prominent internal features. There are many reminders of the Coldstream Guards, (the birthplace of the regiment being some 200 yards from the church) as well as a plaque commemorating the forming of the Coldstream Free Bible Press by Rev Adam Thomson, thus breaking the monopoly of the Oxford and Cambridge Universities and the King's printers in Scotland.


The marriage house is unique to the Scottish Borders, arguably the most famous of which is found at Gretna Green. The Coldstream Marriage House is the smaller part of the building in the photograph, the last marriage conducted here was in 1853. The introduction of civil registration in Scotland in 1855 spelled the end of the marriage house for ceremonies. Many English couples would marry at the marriage houses in what were known as "irregular marriages", taking advantage of the less restrictive Scottish marriage laws which applied at the time. The building sits just yards from the border on a sharp bend, restored after years of neglect to the condition shown in the image it was damaged soon after this image was taken by passing traffic. replacement stone added to the front wall and low perimeter wall after the accident can easily be seen today.



Back to Berwickshire Parishes C