Talk:Angus/Forfarshire Towns and Villages K
Kilry Parish Church sits in a small hamlet at the entrance to Glenisla. A simple rectangular building and typical of many rural kirks, the building has large windows giving a light and airy atmosphere, the bell within the bellcote would often have a chain attached to the wall as it descends allowing the bell to be rung from the ground outside the church.
Kirriemuir Old Parish Church was formerly known as the Barony Church, the name now used came about with the union of the Barony Church and St Ninian's. The site has religious connections dating back over 1000 years, the current building was completed in 1787/88 to replace an earlier building described as both dangerous and too small to serve the growing population. Not long after completion of the new church the gallery collapsed and a court case followed. The steeple was completed in 1790, the bell from the earlier church was originally installed but cracked a few years later, it was replaced in 1839.
Internally there are some interesting features, at the ends of the pews are the names of the local estates, a reminder that the pews were under the jurisdiction of the landowners (Heritors) and they allocated seats within the pews. The kirkyard closed for burials when the cemetery opened in 1858, the earliest legible stone dates to 1613 but it is believed that there are several earlier stones within the grounds.
St Mary's Episcopal Church was built in 1903, replacing an earlier classical church of the 1790's which was destroyed by fire. The design by Sir Ninian Comper is Gothic revival and also features some stained glass by Comper. the organ dates to 1906 and was supplied by Hamilton's of Edinburgh. The Sanctus bell dates to 1741.